============================== >>>For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.. I Corinthians 2: 2<<<=============================
Published On: Tue, Oct 29th, 2013

Martyrs – George Marsh

Martyrs – George Marsh

[su_heading style=”1″][su_button link=”#” color=”#008000″ size=”5″ style=”5″ dark=”0″ radius=”10″ icon=” target=”blank”]Martyrs – George Marsh [/su_button][/su_heading]

George Marsh was a Protestant martyr born in the parish of Deane near Bolton in 1515. George Marsh was born and lived most of his life in the parish of Deane, near Bolton. He was a farmer and married at the age of twenty-five. After his wife’s death he left his children in the care of his parents and entered Cambridge University, where he associated with advocates of the reformed faith and in particular Lawrence Saunders. Marsh from Catholic Lancashire, probably became a Protestant while at Cambridge.

Nicholas Ridley, the Bishop of London ordained him deacon in 1552 and the following year he became the curate at Church Langton in Leicestershire and the church of All Hallows Bread Street in London where Lawrence Saunders was the incumbent.He was said to be a tall man who had a clever way with words and a popular preacher. He was for a time employed by the king, but fell out of favour during the reign of Queen Mary I. After Saunders was arrested in 1554 George Marsh went north and continued preaching the Protestant faith in the parishes of Deane, Eccles and elsewhere in Lancashire.

A warrant was issued for Marsh’s arrest for heresy by Edward Stanley, 3rd Earl of Derby. Justice Barton of Smithills Hall in Bolton sent servants to arrest him at his mother’s house, but Marsh gave himself up at the hall. After being “examined” at Smithills, according to local tradition, Marsh stamped his foot so hard to re-affirm his faith that a footprint was left in the stone floor. While being questioned at Lathom House by the Earl of Derby it was thought that he could be made to conform and he was held in reasonable comfort. Marsh, however resisted the efforts to make him submit and when he refused recant was taken to Lancaster Gaol where he was brought for trial at the Quarter Sessions.

For nearly a year, Marsh remained in Lancaster Gaol where he read from the Bible and prayed with townsfolk gathered outside his window until George Cotes, the Catholic Bishop of Chester intervened. Sympathisers offered support and priests tried to convert him. When statutes against heresy were enacted by parliament Marsh was taken to the gaol at Northgate, Chester. He stood trial under Bishop Cotes in the Lady Chapel of Chester Cathedral. Marsh refused to convert to Roman Catholicism, despite being given one last chance while being tied to the stake at which he was about to be burned.

It is said the fire could not be lit, and when it was, it kept going out and that the wind came in eddies causing him much suffering; he was burnt to ashes, as the Bishop had decreed.

After his death his ashes were collected by his friends and buried in the nearby Saint Giles Cemetery.

Abad of Jesus Christ,

  Stulo Robinson.S.

About the Author

Leave a comment

You must be Logged in to post comment.

====================================>>>Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:31 <<<====================================